The earliest mentioning of the name “Ljig” can be found in a written document from 17th century, made by Evlija Celebija, who described river “LIGmehri” wnich rises in the Ba village and flows into the river Kolubara near Valjevo. No settlements here were known to Austrian army who occupied Serbia from 1717 to 1739.
Nevertheless, until 1818, nearby settlement Gukos were consisted of 50 houses. Ljig separated from Gukos in 1919, when it was announced as a town and until 1930, public school, ambulance and a church were raised.
1917 it was built railway station close to the present Ljig city centre.